the cairngorm service locator just checks to see if it has a property with the
name of the service defined

if(this [ serviceId ] == null) // throw an error

if it exists then just return it :

return this[ serviceId ];

its a common actionscript technique to access object properties dynamically
using the [] notation.

and the relationship between mxml and an actionscript class is that mxml is
converted to actionscript, so an mxml file / component is an actionscript class.

hope that helps, its one of those things that after using AS for a while you
internalise so my explanation might be lacking.

Martin

--
Martin Wood

http://relivethefuture.com/choronzon