Use AMF.

http://www.jamesward.org/census/

AMF is much faster.

WebORB is cheaper than FDS and has more features.  We've used the current
version of WebORB it works nice.

For 10K/socket WebORB for .NET Enterprise supports AMF3 RemoteObjects, RTMP
data pub/sub as well as Media Streaming.

Adobe's FDS is 20K/phyical socket and I think FMS(Media Streaming) is like
5K / box? (You'd have to contact Adobe sales for the pricing for the edge
edition of FMS which would be the equivalent to WebORB's unlimited Media
Streaming connection model.)

If you're just looking for RemoteObject support then there''s WebORB Pro for
2K / phsyical.

WebORB Enterprise/Professional doesn't support Java/ColdFusion however.
This was done on purpose to stay out of Adobe's FDS Java space.  If you go
with Java you need FDS.

Can get a trail version here.
http://www.themidnightcoders.com/weborb/

Incidentally the developer mode (which is the default trial mode if you
install  the trail) allows 5 IP addresses per iisreset which is great for
deploying to dev and test.