There used to be a StringBuilder class, but it was removed.  The regular
String class had its performance improved enough that adding an
additional StringBuilder class didn't make sense.

I would've liked to see it stick around.. but that's only because I had
already written a chapter on it for the AS3 Cookbook before it was
removed.. doh!  :-)

-d