David,

DisplayObjects (Sprite, Shape, Bitmap) can't generally be used
directly in MXML. To be able to add a child using an MXML tag, you
need to extend UIComponent.

-Jim

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, David Steele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I apologize for what must be an obvious question, but why when I try
to create a class in the inline code of an mxml page do I get the
'Classes must not be nested' error?

> I'm trying to test a socket connection. I've got the socket code
(which is a class); I know how to create mxml buttons etc. What I
don't know is how to put the two together. I've created a new
actionscript class file:
> package {
>  import flash.display.*;
>  import flash.events.*;
>     import flash.net.XMLSocket;
>
>  public class socket extends Sprite
>  {
>
> I've also got a document called socketTest.mxml. How do I refer to
to my AS class from within socketTest.mxml? Do I need to explicitly
place the two files somewhere?