I'm trying to think of the best way to approach this.

I have 3 main arrayCollections - store, store_category and 6 X
categories (categories filtered into groupings).

A user would select several items from the cats AC's that would
filter store_cats AC (the mappings). Then the stores with matches
are filtered from the stores AC.

I have a filter function in place but can only figure out out to
feed it one value - not an array of selected values from several
DataGrids.

public function addMapping():void
            {
                ac.addItem({dg1:selectedItem.text});
            }

Any thoughts throbbing Flex Brain?

Great example by Bruce Phillips

http://www.brucephillips.name/blog/index.cfm/2006/11/23/Sort-An-
ArrayCollection-By-Multiple-Fields-and-Filter-An-ArrayCollection-By-
Multiple-Fields-In-Flex