heres my image:
http://judahfrangipane.com/blog/wp-content/themes/default/bin/images/kubrickheader_mask.png

i'm loading it in externally though. it works at the first url but does not
work in the second url:
http://judahfrangipane.com/blog/wp-content/themes/default/bin/header.html
http://judahfrangipane.com/blog/

code:
<mx:String id="mImage">
http://judahfrangipane.com/blog/wp-content/themes/default/bin/images/kubrickheader_mask.png
</mx:String>

<!-- Create the mask. -->
<mx:Image id="headerImage2" source="{mImage}"
       width="100%" height="100%"
       scaleContent="false" autoLoad="true" x="0" y="0"/>

and if you need to know this, here are the application creation complete
events:
   <!-- Effects -->
   <!-- These effects run one after another -->
   <mx:Sequence id="headerEffects">
       <!-- Add all the elements that need to be hidden when the app starts
-->
       <!-- Add them manually so that we can set the visibility to false in
the frame before it is shown -->
       <!-- Still flickers visible for one second ??? -->
       <mx:AddChildAction target="{headerLabel}" effectStart="
headerLabel.visible = false"/>
       <mx:AddChildAction target="{searchBox}" effectStart="
searchBox.visible = false"/>
       <mx:AddChildAction target="{headerImage}" effectStart="
headerImage.visible = false"/>

       <mx:SetPropertyAction
targets="{[headerLabel,searchBox,headerImage]}"
           name="visible" value="false"/>

       <!-- Pause for 200ms -->
       <mx:Pause duration="400"/>

       <!-- Move fake mask up to reveal headerImage -->
       <mx:Move id="moveUp" yTo="-400" duration="6500"
           target="{headerImage2}" yFrom="0"
           easingFunction="Linear.easeNone" />