Hi,

I am new to actionscript and not quite sure how to implement that
solution you suggested.  It looks like the way to go because I do want
to always have the right state selected when the detail screen first
loads so I presume that is where the binding kicks in.

Here is what I did in the code which I think is wrong how I am
referencing the array in the parameter

public function getStateIndex(employeeStateId:Number,
model.employeeProfileArray[0]:Array):void {
                var selectedIndex : int = 0;
                for ( var i:int=0; i< stateCB.dataProvider.length; i++ )
{
                    if( getStateIndex(employeeStateId:==
stateCB.dataProvider[i].stateId ) {
               selectedIndex = getStateIndex(employeeStateId:;
                 stateCB.selectedIndex = selectedIndex;

<comp:StateCombo id="stateCB" selectedIndex="{ getStateIndex(
employeeStateId:Number, model.employeeProfileArray[0]:Array ) }"
dataProvider="{model.stateList}"  labelField="stateName"/>

I am using Cairngorm 2.1 and it is actually working pretty well for me,
so is there a way to elegantly bind this to the ModelLocator? The array
is bound to the ModelLocator

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Ralf Bokelberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> That's probably because the creationComplete event is called just
once.
> What if you use binding instead?
>
> selectedIndex={ getStateIndex( *employeeStateId:Number,
dataProvider:Array*) }