Hello,

Any suggestions/ideas on how to zip a (xml-)string result of a
webservice with ASP.NET2 C# and most importantly how to unzip in Flex ?

I know Flex Dataservice has a built in system for this, but it's just
too expensive ...

For zipping in the webservice, I was thinking of using SharpZipLib
(http://community.sharpdevelop.net/forums/12/ShowForum.aspx). I
already used this for an other webservice where I had to zip many
jpeg-images into one file. So with some trial-and-error I think I must
succeed in zipping my xml-string to be a much smaller result. Or are
there any other ideas out there ?

But the main problem is: how will I be able to unzip my
webservice-result in Flex ? Now I work with my xml-string result in
this way:

var x:XML = new XML(myWebservice.myWebserviceFunction.lastResult);
myDatagrid.dataProvider = new XMLListCollection(x.children());

So I guess I would have to do something like:

var x:XML = new XML(UNZIP(myWebservice.myWebserviceFunction.lastResult));
myDatagrid.dataProvider = new XMLListCollection(x.children());

Any ideas on how we can do this ?

Many thanks in advance !
Frank