From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of ben.clinkinbeard
Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 1:50 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Flex choking while converting less than 2 MB
of data

Wow, that sucks REALLY bad. I appreciate the response Karl.

I did try (before posting the original message) setting resultFormat
to e4x and then assembling my objects with pretty much the same
outcome. Are you suggesting I leave the data as XML permanently? I
suppose thats worth a shot but I've found using XML dataProviders to
be a real PITA when making extensive use of itemRenderers and
labelFunctions (like my app does).

Thanks,
Ben

, "Karl Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> It is unfortunate, but it is the way it is. When returning large
sets of data like this, we had to stop using webservices returning
objects and change to using webservices returning an XML string or
HTTPServices returning XML. Having the flash player consume a big blog
of XML and then you do what you want with it (like turn it in to AS
XML Objects and use it for a grid's dataprovider, etc) is WAY faster
than letting flex try to deserialize it all and put it all into memory
as strongly typed objects.

> One perf test we did in 1.5 was to return three hundred items as
nested, strongly typed objects took about 45 seconds for the FP to
handle the result set and render. When using straight xml, it took
about 2 seconds. Of course it all depends on how large your result set
as well as how deep and nested your objects are.

> Karl
> Cynergy
>
> Shameless Plug:
> Come see us at AJAXWorld next month! Several Cynergy employees,
including myself, will be presenting on great Flex topics. Don't miss
it!

<http://www.darronschall.com/weblog/archives/000247.cfm> > ) as well as