Thanks Peter

I have implemented the URLLoader method as suggested, and unfortunately I am
still
experiencing the same issues.

I'm really starting to think this could be on the Java end of things -- anybody
have any
insight there? We have set the character encoding of the servlet to UTF-8
explicitly, and we
have the content type set to text/xml.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Farland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you're not using the proxy, then HTTPService is ultimately using
> flash.net.URLLoader
to load and receive the data. You could try to take Flex out of the equation
for a second
and try the raw URLLoader API to see if it still occurs there.

Brian Dunphy
> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 3:29 PM
> To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Special characters after end tag of XML document