In a handler on the complete event of a SWFLoader, I set an instance
variable(typed as SystemManager)  to myLoader.content.
_smAppLoaded = SystemManager(myLoader.content);

When can I access the .application property?:
Alert.show(_smAppLoaded.application["lblOne"].text);

If I try it in the event handler, I get a null reference.
The same if I try it in a callLater()
But if I try it after a setInterval or timer of 5000 ms, I get a valid
reference.
And from a button in the UI, it is valid.

Is there a good way to know if it is ready?   Or should I just use a
timer loop?

Tracy