It is a must have IMO. I thought it was already going to be built in.

Lets say you have a client that says we don't have database support but you
can use files, XML or shared objects. How would that limit your application?
If you needed a database you would have to go online to get it defeating the
purpose of Apollo's goal of desktop development.

There are already apps in development that would use a database:

- Java Docs Generator (in dev) - documents your code, stores and updates
java docs in db
- Project management software (in dev) - keeps track of tasks, projects
- Photo management software - accesses the filesystem like Adobe Bridge,
search and sort
- Music software (already created by an Adobe engineer) - keep track and
sort mp3's (itunes, windows media player, winamp, etc use their own built in
db)
- DVD collection - keeps track of all your dvds or cds
- CD demos - pass out demos on cd of your application may need db access

Really, think of all the applications on your computer that use a database.
Apollo is a desktop application builder.

Someone may say you say you can use xml but when you add anymore than a few
collections of data, you start to rebuilt a database and try and make xml do
what a database is supposed to. It is a sloppy hack.

Here's another thing. You come out with Apollo and it doesn't have DB
support. You get Apollo adopted after a year at 50% penetration but the big
huge apps in development out there need db support. So these can't come out
yet. They end up waiting until Apollo 2 is here but also has more then 50%
adoption rate. Now its 2 years later. People are frustrated. You could do
that or you could push back your release date a month or two now. I would
rather wait. I don't care which database you choose as long as there is some
kind of database in this release.

my 2 cents,
dorkie rioting in the streets dork from dorktown