--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Chyko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My Flex app is hitting a ColdFusion backend.  If I call a function whose
> access is set to "remote", everything works as expected.  If that remote
> function calls a "private" accessible function within the same .cfc
> using the "this" keyword, it cannot find the function.  If I don't use
> the "this" keyword it works fine.

Actually, your problem is not unique to accessing a method from Flex
and it's got nothing to do with instantiation..  It's a scope issue.
The scope names applied to the properties and methods of a cfc are
confusing.  Anything marked as public or remote will show in the
"this" scope.  Anything private is in the variables scope or the "no"
scope (no prefix).  So, if you're trying to call a private method
using this.methodName() you will get an error because the UDF isn't
defined in the public (this) scope.