Got it!

It appears that selectedItems is dependent on the data being
*absolutely identical* to the dataProvider. And while I thought my data
was identical, it really wasn't. In the debugger, if you look at a
variable, its always: "Array (@123456)". What I found was that although
the data was definitely the same, that number was not.

To fix the problem, I centralized all data to go through one data
manager, whereas before I was reinitializing a different data component
in each component.

So now, I'm basically calling parentApplication.dataManager.someFunction
() from all of my components. This isn't good quite frankly, but by
doing so, the @123456 is always the same.

If anyone else can think of a better way, I'm all ears...