From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Nate Pearson
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 5:53 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Will there be a microsoft project like gantt
chart in new versions of flex?

Sorry if i offended you Doug. I subscribe to your RSS feed and really
appreciate all your
input to the community.

I agree with you that if Adobe is going to make the component that I
should try to do it my
self. I have actually been trying to do it and found out that it's not
an easy thing!

That's why at Apollo Camp I went into the "ask the experts" room to see
what adobe's
plans are for it. I have herd adobe employees elude to the possibility
of a future
component and the scheduling component on adobe labs looks really
promising.
Although it's a good learning exersize I didn't want to duplicate
effort.

Out of four employees none of them knew the answer(although they
answered all of my
apollo questions!) I guess the next charting components are being
outsourced. They
suggested that I clearly ask the question on flex coders and that
someone from adobe
would have an answer.

So that's why I asked. If they don't have any plans I will continue to
try to build it myself.

, "Doug McCune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bah, vaporware!?! Yeah, ok, so you're right to think that I wasn't
planning
> on spending alot of time on that Gantt chart component, and I realize
that
> example is VERY basic and not even close to a complete gantt chart
> component, but making it into a better component is in the back of my
mind.
> And I do watch this list (and the blog posts and all that noise).
>
> I think Adobe's position is that they're not going to make a Gantt
chart (or
> whatever Component X you want) anytime soon, and that they'd like the
> community to really step up to make some of these components that
people
> want. There's no reason someone can't take the approach I took with my
> example and add all the functionality you want. I might do it piece by
piece
> as well, but it's not a top priority for me right now.
>
> So I think the better approach is to lay out what you want, just like
you
> did here, and ask people in the community to do it. Or even better,
take a
> stab at it yourself and ask people to help.
>
> Doug
>
> On 3/17/07, Nate Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Sort of, but his example, although cool, is just vapor ware.
> >
> > I would imagine a full fledge Gantt component to have a time
lineline,
> > an api to set startDate, endDate and percent complete. A way to save
> > the "state" of a chart to use in base lining. A way to set relations
> > between tasks like start/start or finish/start.
> >
> > For an even more advanced chart I would like to be able to extend it
> > so that I could assign a resource to a task. I would like the gantt
> > chart to have a grid connected to it to show the values of what the
> > chart represents (i.e. start date, duration, resource).
> >
> > That's just a few features that I would like to see. I don't really
> > think it would be that hard for adobe to make something like this.
> >
> > -Nate
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>  <flexcoders%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Andrew
> > Muller" <andrew.muller@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Nate