in my application i can toggle a certain number of columns' visibility
through this code:

         private function displayOptions(item:Number):void
             {

                  var visible:Boolean;

                 if(dg.columns[item].visible==true)
                     {
                         dg.columns[item].visible=false;

                     }
                else if(dg.columns[item].visible==false)
                        {
                            dg.columns[item].visible=true;

<mx:Canvas x="-1" y="150" width="709" height="24">
                         <mx:CheckBox x="0" y="0" label="First name"
click="displayOptions(1)"/>
                         <mx:CheckBox x="92" y="0" label="DOB"
click="displayOptions(3)"/>
                         <mx:CheckBox x="176" y="0" label="Address1"
click="displayOptions(4)"/>
                         <mx:CheckBox x="260" y="0" label="Address2"
click="displayOptions(5)"/>
                         <mx:CheckBox x="344" y="0" label="Address3"
click="displayOptions(6)"/>
                         <mx:CheckBox x="428" y="0" label="Postcode"
click="displayOptions(7)"/>
   </mx:Canvas>

the display options are just a bunch of checkboxes similar to this
example http://ext.stuff.googlepages.com/TestTable.html
<http://ext.stuff.googlepages.com/TestTable.html>

now the issue is whenever i turn off a columns visibility and then turn
it on again the same column's width size decreases.
if i repeat this several times on the same column the width gradually
decreases.
after hours of wracking my head round i noticed that this anomally would
only occur if  my datagrid has a set width(mine is set as a percentage)

otherwise without setting the width the toggle works fine.

is this a bug or is there a way to restore the hidden column's width
when shown?