From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alex
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2007 7:52 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Can validation prevent text input entry?

Anyone?

, "Lex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for the response! Precisely how does one "listen for
ITEM_EDIT_END"? (extremely new to flex)

> If I do
> <mx:TextInput textInput="validateData(event)"
>
> with a
>

> private function validateData( event:TextEvent ):void{
>

> }
>

> where my validator has ID cv, how do I trigger validation, and then
check the result, to finally call event.preventDefault() if the shit
hits the fan?

> Thanks for your help. The docs in this dept are incredibly lacking..
>
> Alex

going away. What most folks do is check validation on ITEM_EDIT_END
and prevent the change to the dataprovider by calling
preventDefault(). You can also catch ITEM_EDIT_BEGINNING and return
the editor to the bad cell if the user is tabbing or clicking another
cell, but if the user clicks outside you can't really restore focus to
the cell.

> If you want to get really fancy then your itemRenderers will color
differently if they are invalid.