On 3/27/07, shaun etherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Troy Gilbert wrote:
>  > Brett,
>  >
>  > Events are actually an a pretty fundamental component of an MVC
>  > implementation. Events are most often used by the model to notify the view
>  > and/or controller of changes (Observer pattern).
>
>  Usually the model does not talk to the controller (see the diagram at
>  the java blueprints url below).

Uhm... you quoted exactly what I said. The model uses the Observer
pattern to notify the controller (or anyone) of changes. Nothing wrong
there...

>  The model should just be made up of objects which are modelled on the
>  business processes and should adhear to the usual best practices.
>  Properties represent state, methods implement behavior to modify state
>  based on some business logic.
>
>  Therefore, the model should define the state and business
>  logic(behaviour) to manage the model's state.
>
>  The ModelLocator(Cairngorm speak?) should not contain functional
>  methods, because the ModelLocator is not the model, its just the locator
>  of models.

I guess this is where I may diverge from the usual practice of the
model... I treat it like a RecordSet (to use Design Pattern
terminology)... just data and relationships. You're right, though,
that many people treat the model as a Domain Model (with accompanying
methods), though I move that stuff into my controllers (and do end up
with a hierarchy of controllers acting on controllers).

Troy.