Thanks for the update... i've also made progress in my spell checker
suggest words algorithm.  I'm basically using a modified version of
the Levenshtein algorithm.  I've found that with some minor tweaks it
works great for 90% of mispelled words.  I'm always looking to speed
up the word distance algorithm Levenshtein provides.

As far as UI, i just modeled the spell checker dialog window MS Word
uses.  It seams to be the most intuitive and what most people know.

I would be curious to know your performance since everytime you want
to suggest a word or check some text for bad spellings you have to go
back to the server.  I have the complete word list downloaded into my
app and do all checking and suggesting based on that list.  It's not
perfect but no spell checker is. I get suggestions back within 100-
500 milliseconds, sometimes less depending on the length of the word.

Now the question is, how well will this perform for me on a slower
pc... i'm running a dual core 2.4ghz with 2gb of ram, i'm guessing on
a slower pc i won't see as fast of a response.  I plan to test to see
how well it holds up.

--Scott

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "jmfillman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Scott,
>
> I'm sending the word Array to PHP for checking. PHP will check each
> word until it finds an incorrect word, then it will send the wrong
word
> back, along with 10 suggestions. I'm not that good at PHP, so I
hired
> someone to do this for me. We've worked out a fairly comprehensive
> logorithm that I'm quite pleased with the suggested words it
returns.

> I'm still working on the Flex part, but how I envision this is that
> Flex gets the wrong word back, searches for it and
> highlights/underlines it. The user is presented with a list of
words
> they can replace it with, or they can type in a new word (there are
> some good examples of similar stuff in the Flex Builder Help/Flex 2
> Developer's Guide: "Selecting and modifying text" and "Programming
> RichTextEditor Subcontrols"). "Programming RichTextEditor
Subcontrols"