Well, I've seemed to have solved my problem so I'll post it here in
case anyone else runs into this.

turns out to have been a relative path issue. The datagrid liked
"source='../images/{data.indicator}'" as long as we stayed in the
initial directory but once we moved it out it blew up. So I gave it an
absolute path of comps/invoices/images and everyone is happy.