may set the height and the width of your image component. either to
fixed size or to values from yout loaded image.

then you can set -horizontalAlign="center"- and the
-verticalAlign="middle"- props of the image component to center your
image.
you dont need a wrapper component like a hbox or s.th. similar.

when this not helps, i always set -maintainAspectRaio="true"-

carsten