http://pdecoursey.googlepages.com/DateUtilCommonTest.zip

Okay, here is a rough demo and the source.  The part that you'd want
to focus on is the TimezoneUtils class. I have only a few time zones
defined in it.  In our setup we use a web service to provide a full
list of timezones, all 230 or so of them. I also have a DateFormat
class, that has been adapted from the one in AS3 Cookbook, that has
support for timezones.  Nothing is really documented, I hope to get
that done soon.

Please give me feedback, I'd like to one day release this in a more
formal manner.  Probably make start an Open Source project for it.

paul