Here what I do :

ws.addEventListener('load',WSLoad);
ws.addEventListener('fault',ErrorLoadingWS);
ws.loadWSDL();

load event appear in case of reacheable wsdl file but you have to handle
if the wsdl file is not well formed :

public function WSLoad(ev:LoadEvent):void {
  if(!ws.canLoadWSDL()) {
     //generally not well formed wsdl

fault event appear in case of unreacheable wsdl file (file not found or
network error...)

mika