From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Harris Reynolds
Sent: April 17, 2007 12:13 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] FDS Pain

Hi there. I am trying to use FDS to manage a collection tree nodes.
The top-level collection that is managed by FDS contains all of the
root nodes.

I'd like for FDS to refresh the top-level collection of root nodes
any time I insert a node into the tree, regardless of where in the
hierarchy it falls. This turns out to be very difficult using FDS.

Here is what I have tried:

I tried turning off caching of the collection so that FDS would just
refill the data whenever I call:

DataServiceTransaction transasction = DataServiceTransaction.begin
(null, false);
transasction.refreshFill("DestinationNameHere", null);

This doesn't work. When caching is turned off there is a strange
dependency that I don't understand on the getItem method in my
Assembler.

If caching is not disabled, then FDS simply looks at the top-level
nodes by their identity and doesn't notice any changes so it ignores
new nodes added lower in the tree's hierarchy.

I can't use the updateItem method call b/c I don't now which top-
level node is being updated deep within the tree (and shouldn't need
to do this just to get FDS to reload the tree data for any connected
clients).

I am starting to think it would be easier to write my own polling
data service that does what I want myself and not even use FDS as
currently FDS is making something very simply very hard. I hope
someone proves me wrong!! :-)

Any ideas here? Thanks,

~harris