I want to extend the rich text editor so that I can make the title
editable.

The goal is to set the subject of the message/note to the title of the
text editor.  However, someone might like to change that.  It would be
best if I could just double click on it and have it become editable.
I would then want to submit the two values to update the message body
and the message subject in the database.

I know that I could simply put a text input control above the rich
text editor and a button below.  however, I think it might look a lot
nicer if it looked as it were a cohesive component. I've never done a
custom compent before and in researching I haven't found anything that
addresses this specific issue.