Theres a good article about Best Practices to prevent non-standard characters.

http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/quotes-in-html.html

Basically they say use UTF-8 consistently. On the data input side we filter to
trap irregularities and then likewise use UTF-8 on the presentation side.

Another thing to consider is using consistent fonts for both input and output -
whenever possible use the same for both cases. This way any irregularities
would
hopefully be apparent to the user as they enter them.

Biggest problem we see if when users copy for Windows (M$) applications into
forms - this is usually how non-standard characters get introduced. The article
above explains why.

Ben Marchbanks

::: alQemy ::: transforming information into intelligence
http://www.alQemy.com

::: magazooms ::: digital magazines
http://www.magazooms.com

Greenville, SC