I created my own list component with drag n drop suport and
here is what I did for that scenario...

private function onMouseDown(event:MouseEvent):void{
                        //trace("mouseDown");
                        var pt:Point = new Point(event.localX,
event.localY);
                pt = DisplayObject(event.target).localToGlobal(pt);
                mouseDownPoint = globalToLocal(pt);

                        draggedItem = event.currentTarget as
IListItemRenderer;
                        // Need to make sure event is not captured by
items in a child list
                        if (draggedItem && draggedItem.parent == this) {
                                //trace("initiateDrag");
                                draggedItem.addEventListener
(MouseEvent.MOUSE_MOVE, tryDrag);

Notice that it checks the currentTarget and makes sure it is an
IListItemRenderer