I have given this exact problem considerable thought and have decided
that Flex Data Services (now called LCDS) is not the right solution
when you simply want to couple a flex client with a back-end database.

Depending on the application, I have used the following solutions in
my work:

 1) HTTPService to a CGI script that queries the database and returns
the result as an XML string.  This is probably the easiest to get
going.  The primary downside with this solution is performance.

 2) AMFPHP 1.9.  Version 1.9 is screaming fast.  There isn't much of a
downside with this solution, except that it is slightly more complex
than HTTPService.  But there's a good tutorial out there that will get
you up and running.

 3) A custom server that maintains a socket connection with the Flex
client.  This allows me to push data to the clients, keep multiple
clients synchronized (without forcing the clients to poll), etc.
Obviously this solution requires the most expertise, but I've found it
preferable to wrangling with FDS.