Sorry for the vauge subject... here's what I'm trying to do that does not work.

I am creating a MainApp class instance in my mxml project file. I want to use
this to control the basic common stuff throughout the application, and I have
made an instance of a Canvas object that I will be using as a container to the
constantly changing part of the screen. I made a ContentTemplate class that
extends UIComponent (I had problems with addChild in actionscript before I
realized if it's not pure as3 it needs to be a UIComponent to work). From this
ContentTemplate class, I have created several classes that extend it and want
to use addChild/removeChild to change that canvas part of the program.

So, in MainApp I have a variable contentScreen of type ContentTemplate. Lets
just say all ContentTemplate is doing is making a new text control. I tried to
make this text control in the ContentTemplate, and since it is extending
UIComponent - I thought just a this.addChild would work... Then in mainApp just
add it to the display list of the Canvas object. This does not work.

If I pass a reference to that canvas object in the constructor, then addChild
from there it works.

Hopefully I somewhat clear what I'm trying to do - and anyone have any
suggestions why this would not work?

Thanks for any response, Jason