The low redraw speed you're seeing is not really a framerate issue (which
you'd have no real control over other than simply doing less) but an delayed
update issue. To keep window resizing from being a jerky process, Flex
basically delays resizing (or re-performing layout, actually) until there's
some kind of idle moment (even if its a momentary pause of the mouse
cursor). I've not bothered to dig into the details of the Application source
to see when it fires and doesn't fire the layout event, but that's what its
tied to, so you could probably tweak it to operate differently.

Rest assured that when things are moving/resizing *inside* your app (as
opposed to the app window resizing) things will be as jiffy quick as you
expect from Flash.

Troy.