Not sure I understand. I'm clicking in it to make sure it has focus.
In fact I tried adding activate and deactivate handlers for the
container, and in the activate I add the keydown listener. Tracing
shows that the activate event fired, but the keydown event never
shows up again.

I'm surprised this doesn't work... how can you use flex to do
graphical things with the keyboard if you can't listen to it?

Thanks for responding,
Jack