Tom Chiverton wrote:

>> if i want to allow users to export data into excel and send it directly to
>> their desktop (like cfcontent does),  would it be worth getting into?  are
>
> You might want to look at Apollo, though of course XLS can be just a HTML
> file
> with a table tag in, in which case you could go that route - but Flash can't
> talk to the network and the local filesystem from the same file.

Apollo is an excellent tool for outputting data in Excel-friendly
formats.  The only caveat for now is that there's a dearth of libraries
that'll do this, so you'll probably need to write your own emitter.

I actually did just this by rolling a minimal SpreadsheetML emitter over
the course of a few hours just in time for the eBay Desktop demo that
Mike Downey was showing at the DEMO '07 conference a few months ago.
That's part of the magic underneath the hood that allowed him to show
dragging the data grid straight to the desktop where it saved as a file,
and then immediately re-opening the formatted data straight into Excel.

While Excel can handle data in HTML tables just fine, I'd suggest from
experience that Derrick take a look at using SpreadsheetML if he needs
anything more than a simple tabular data of the sort that HTML tables
and CSV formatted data are well suited for.  Among other things, it
supports styling and accurate handling of localized decimal notation,
both of which we wanted in the eBay demo.

Jim Cheng
effectiveUI

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional