closer (sort of).

yes I did misunderstand what was used for the category axis.

but correcting that hasn't helped, to be honest. setting CategoryAxis
to "id" didn't improve it

however, if I leave out the horizontalAxis and CategoryAxis
completely, it'll fall back to the default of displaying an index - it
provides the correct amount of them so it *is* reading the XML.

here's a node of the proper XML: rating="5" should be the height of
the column

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<questionaire>

<question id="1" title="title here" category="category here"
text="1. How would you rate your teamwork project as a theoretical or
real world application?"
min_label="Theoretical"          max_label="Real World"
 center_label=""         protocol_num="1"        summary_num="1.1"
min_value="-5"           max_value="5"           weighting="0"
rating="5"      />