I am trying to programmatically build and manipulate a Tree entirely
in ActionScript and I'm having serious issues doing so.

I've tried various ways of doing it but currently my failed code looks
like:

var t:Tree = new Tree();
var dp:XMLListCollection = new XMLListCollection();
var o1:XML = <node label='Testing'/>;
dp.addItem(o1);
t.dataProvider = dp;

Ideally I'd like to use only Objects.  I've been able to make it work
thus far by just having a dataProvider as ArrayCollection and adding
Objects to it, but then I have no way of adding branches and I end up
with a 1-deep tree.

Any advice or references are appreciated. I've gone through the
flexdocs and they offer a few examples that seem to almost be talking
about what I'm trying to do, but they don't work.