You might want to take a look at the updated states doc that we just
pushed on the Flex Doc blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/flexdoc/

Stephen

________________________________

From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of jandersen1978
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 2:41 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders]How do States and Transitions relate?

I'm no expert in states and transitions but as I understand it you
define states if you want to add or remove children from a
component, change properties etc. The transitions define any
animations that take place going from one state to another.

Just taking a quick look at your MXML below I'm not sure you want
the AddChild, RemoveChild and SetProperty tags in your sequence
tag. I believe only effect tags should go there... Might want to
have another look at the documentation

http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/html/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/ww
<http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/html/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/ww>
help.htm?context=LiveDocs_Book_Parts&file=tutorial_states_022_6.html

, "dorkie dork from dorktown"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to understand how transitions relate to states and I
don't really
> get it. I've been through the docs but it still is not clear to
me. For
> example, what does the "Action" mean? Are transitions supposed to
be some
> sort of ordering mechanism? I have taken some code from the
documentation
> and modified it here:
>
> <mx:states>
> <mx:State name="menuTop">
> <mx:SetProperty target="{linkBarNav}" name="visible"
> value="false"/>
> <mx:SetProperty target="{menu}" name="y" value="43"/>
> <mx:SetProperty target="{linkBarNav}" name="y" value="-
1"/>
> </mx:State>
> </mx:states>
>
> <mx:transitions>
> <!-- Define the transition from the base state to the
menuTop
> state.-->
> <!-- I want to move menu and link bar up and then reveal
linkbar.
> menu is visible all the time.-->
> <mx:Transition id="menuTopTransition" fromState="*"
> toState="menuTop">
> <mx:Sequence targets="{[menu, linkBarNav]}">
> <mx:RemoveChildAction/>
> <mx:SetPropertyAction target="{menu}"
name="visible"/>
> <mx:Move duration="300" targets="{[menu,
linkBarNav]}"/>
> <mx:WipeRight duration="200"
target="{linkBarNav}"/>