Since Pete has mentioned JBoss I'll put in a word for it too.  I am
very pleased with it as a choice of server platform.  It contains
Tomcat so rather than start with Tomcat and have to go to JBoss later
when you want a full J2EE server I would do it the other way round.

An excellent book for JBoss is "JBoss at Work, a practical guide"
published by O'Reilly.  I got pretty much my entire working knowledge
of JBoss from that one book.

It is a bit fiddly to start with, but the key thing to learn about is
the shape of a WAR file.  Once you understand that and how deployment
works in J2EE it is very easy to start to make your own applications.

Another massive help is the J2EE plug-in for Eclipse called the
wtp-all-in-one which can be found at eclipse.org/webtools.  This will
automate many of the common tasks such as packing into WAR/EAR files
etc.  It will sit happily alongside flex builder (you may need to up
the amount of memory allocated to Eclipse) and means that you can step
between your client and server code in the debugger, which is amazing
and invaluable, especially when you are trying to figure out what on
earth is going on.

best of luck
Simon