What's the best way to handle vulgar fractions so when they return
from the database they display properly?

I have a UI that will convert text strings to vulgar fractions when a
user enters "1/2" for example. This is a client requirement and I use
AS to do the substitution. They are then pushed to mySQL via PHP. They
display fine when viewing using the mySQL admin panel (HTML)  but once
they are sent to the Flex app as XML they are not handled properly
upon the return and become ?.

What's the best method for encoding to preserve the fractions ?