1) is there a way to upload (ruby backend) via an httpservice?

If so, does anyone have code to demonstrate this? I've got it working
with the default fileupload stuff, but the ruby backend is tracking
users via a session; we're most likely going to change this process
so that a userid is sent downstream (my suggestion) but the ruby
developer wants to track sessions.

2) is there a way to pass ADDITIONAL parameters via a filereference
upload?  I want to pass videos to be uploaded (working) but I want to
be able to pass a file's user-entered description as well.