To upload files, you could start with this http://weblog.cahlan.com/ 2006/12/flex-upload-component.html and customize, extend it. The only thing they don't show in this component is how to handle the returned result. In order to get the result add an UPLOAD_COMPLETE_DATA Event listener to the FileReference :

[FileReference].addEventListener(DataEvent.UPLOAD_COMPLETE_DATA, onUploadComplete);

... and get the "event.data" in the "onUploadComplete" method.

To specify the list of allowed file types for upload, check out this: http://livedocs.adobe.com/flex/201/langref/flash/net/FileFilter.html.

_rico