OK, my hex and bitwise skills are non-existent, so I am probably on
the completely wrong track here, but... I converted a couple of hex
values  to decimal values (11776947 and 10724259) with an online
converter. They each evaluate to a shade of gray (as expected), but
when I generate random values that fall between the two and use them
in the drawing API they are not shades of gray. I'm sure plenty of you
are saying "duh", but if you could also suggest a way to randomly
generate differing shades of gray I would be most appreciative.

I suppose the chances of someone having written a RandomGrayGenerator
class is pretty slim, so I am open to more general courses of action
as necessary.

Thanks,
Ben