From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Troy Gilbert
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 9:26 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [flexcoders] Full Screen Mode

I know Adobe has heard an earful on this, but I'd like to stress it
again since the issue has again been raised:

Fullscreen mode without keyboard support is virtually worthless for
almost any app other than playing fullscreen video. Now, I understand
that fullscreen video is the primary reason for inclusion of this
functionality. Fine.

But Adobe needs to pay some serious attention to the world of online
games which heavily use the Flash platform. Fullscreen games would be
huge, but without keyboard support it simply won't happen. Fullscreen
web apps like Picnik would be huge, but without keyboard support its
limiting.

I think the security requirement that an app can only go to fullscreen
inside of a mouse or keyboard event is perfect. I think the security
requirement that the ESCAPE key will *always* take the user out of the
fullscreen is fine. I'd even be fine with the Flash Player popping open
a confirmation dialog when the user wanted to go fullscreen just to be
sure (with a corresponding "always for this website" option, just like
popup blockers).

But preventing all keyboard usage? It just renders fullscreen a
completely worthless feature for our products. We would embrace it and
brag about it and usher in some spectacular web-based experiences only
possible because of the Flash platform, but simply won't be able to
because we need a minimum amount of keyboard functionality (filling in a
few forms, cursor keys, etc.).

AIR isn't the answer for us as the whole reason we've gone with the
Flash platform is the instant accessibility (no downloads).

Please, please, please Adobe... please give us keyboard access in
fullscreen! Please!

Troy.

On 9/14/07, Nick Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]