I'm doing something like that right now for the individual cells.
I've integrated a validator into the cell object.  However, I need to
be able to validate the complete datagrid when the save button is
pressed.  If the user never moves to a cell, I can't use the
itemEditEnd to validate, I need to move through the data and check.
Using the itemEditor.newInstance() and calling my validation routine,
I can detect that a validation fails.  Now I'm going to try to use the
itemRenderer property to indicate the nice red boxes.

John
--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Roman Protsiuk"