I have a tabNavigator with 3 mx:Canvas tabs, each containing a dataGrid
for a different user/customer.  Above the tabNavigator you can select
up to 3 different users/customers, and this populates the associated
grid in the tabNavigator.  Pretty straightforward -- *except* that I
don't want the tabs in the tabNavigator to be visible until you've
selected a user/customer above.

I tried setting the visible property of my mx:Canvas containers, but
the tab still shows up regardless of whether the child is visible or
not.

Is there a way to prevent tabs in the tabNavigator from showing up? I
could always dynamically add/remove the child mx:Canvas objects via
actionscript, but in this case it's always 0-3 and I'd rather just
create 3 mx:Canvas objects in MXML and then show/hide them as needed.

I'm just baffled that visible="false" on the mx:Canvas child objects
doesn't take away the tab in the tabNavigator! Is this by design?