The server configuration I have is:

Apache 2
PHP 4
OpenSSL

I use the the following URL when I call .upload():

https://xx.xx.xx.xxx:443/cgi-bin/myUploadScript.sh

I forgot to mention the this works on Linux as well except for Firefox
on Linux. That's three OS's all running Firefox and that is the
offending browser on all three. My money's on Firefox's plugin.