This whole thing ended up being caused by the following statement I
had added as a placeholder:

switch (event.oldIndex) {}

...as soon as I commented that out (on a hunch) the error went away
and everything compiled normally.

Sure enough, I was able to repeat the problem in a blank "test.mxml"
Flex project by adding the following code to the <mx:Application>:

<mx:Script>
        <![CDATA[
                import mx.events.StateChangeEvent;
                public function my_function(event:StateChangeEvent) :
void {
                        switch (event.oldIndex) {}
                }

        ]]>
</mx:Script>

Is it just me or does this seem like a pretty harsh error for an
empty switch() statement! ;)  Then again, Flex Builder 3 is still in
beta...

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "byte.sensei" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I tried un-installing, deleting the "My Documents\Flex Builder 3\"
> folder, then re-installing and adding the project from scratch
again.
> Still no luck.
>
> I closed that project and made a new Flex project and it will
> compile/run fine, so I *think* it has something to do with the
> project (and not the general IDE / compiler) but I can't figure out
> what.  I'm at a loss... Anyone out there experienced anything like
> this?
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "byte.sensei" <byte.sensei@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Note: I already tried "Project > Clean" and running Flex from the
> > command line with the "-clean" option, but it's still giving me
the
> > internal build error.  I also tried dropping the entire project
and
> re-
> > creating it from scratch, but still no luck...
> >
> > --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "byte.sensei" <byte.sensei@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > I've been working with Flex Builder 3 beta 2 fine for the past
> > > several days, and then all of the sudden I got a message
> saying, "an
> > > internal build error has occurred. Please check the Error log."
> > >
> > > So I opened the error log (at {Workspace Dir}\.metadata\.log)
and