The use case I've heard that makes sense to me that does provide
security is this.

Say you have a bunch of FLVs stored on your server and you let some
people access those from their site.  And at some point you discover
that someone has been abusing that privilege and racking up huge
bandwidth charges for you.  So you add the cross domain and deny
access to certain sites.  Then you can still stream them out, but the
"friend" that posted it to slashdot is no longer able to.  Make
sense?  It's not a lot of security in my opinion, but it works.
There are ways around it, like proxies, but then those people will be
using the bandwidth themselves as well.