Dispatch a custom event with bubbles set to true. In the event include the checkbox that was checked so the code that catches it can get the selected state. Then in the code that sets up your datagrid add an event listener to the grid itself as follows

this.myGrid.addEventListener(MyCustomEvent.MY_EVENT_TYPE, handleMyCustomEvent);

hth
Scott

Scott Melby
Founder, Fast Lane Software LLC
http://www.fastlanesw.com

candysmate wrote:

I'm using a custom itemRenderer (centered checkBox), based upon Alex
Harui's excellent blog in a dataGrid.

My dataGridColumn has:

<mx:DataGridColumn
headerText=""
dataField="select"
width="30"
itemRenderer="com.toro.classes.CenteredCheckBox">
</mx:DataGridColumn>

the class is:

package com.toro.classes
{
import flash.display.DisplayObject;
import flash.text.TextField;
import mx.controls.CheckBox;

public class CenteredCheckBox extends CheckBox
{

public function CenteredCheckBox()
{
super();
}

/**
* center the contentHolder
*/
override protected function updateDisplayList(w:Number, h:Number):void
{
super.updateDisplayList(w, h);

var n:int = numChildren;
for (var i:int = 0; i < n; i++)
{
var c:DisplayObject = getChildAt(i);
if (!(c is TextField))
{
c.x = (w - c.width) / 2;
c.y = 0;

How can I get the boolean value held in array portion 'select' for the
dataProvider 'coloursArray' toggle when the checkbox is
selected/unselected please?