Thanks, Adam. I should have added more details to my post.

The 'complexity' is introduced by the fact that I am having to find all Validator components, which are not DisplayObjectContainers. Using Object (implemented by each validator subclass) in the recursive function does not work either, since it catches components such as flash.display.Shape, which doesn't have any children.