I think that is probably your best bet at this point. It is possible to read a PDF in flex, but rendering it is a bit tricky. First if it's compressed you'll have to unzip parts of it. Once you have it decoded you could execute the drawing commands on a UIComponent and display the text roughly the same, but I'm not sure about images. If they are JPEG I suppose you could feed it to a SWFLoader, but if it's Tiff, I don't think you can do that. But if you know that the PDF is not going to have images or just simple images and you keep them simple then I think it could be possible to build the component to display it.

Paul