Thanks for the response (I can't believe how hard it's been trying to
find this out!).  I'm trying to use the following component in a
DataGrid, but "listData" is evaluating to NULL when I debug the
application:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:Label xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"; textAlign="center">
        <mx:Script>
                <![CDATA[
                        import mx.controls.dataGridClasses.DataGridListData;

                        private function getData():Object {
                                var columnMetadata:DataGridListData =
DataGridListData(listData)
                                var fieldName:String =
columnMetadata.dataField;
                                return data[fieldName];
                        }

                        private function getFormattedDate():String {
                                return df.format(getData());
                        }
                ]]>
        </mx:Script>
        <mx:DateFormatter id="df" formatString="DD-MMM-YY"/>
        <mx:Label text="{getFormattedDate()}"/>
</mx:Label>

Am I being dense?

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"